Tuesday, September 08, 2020

111. Poison in the Colony

Poison in the Colony: James Town 1622. Elisa Carbone. 2019. 320 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: I am different. That is what Samuel says, and I believe he is right.

Premise/plot: Poison in the Colony is a companion book to Blood on the River. This book features Samuel, the main character in Blood on the River, but it is narrated by Virginia Laydon. Carbone has fictionalized the people of Jamestown and crafted a compelling historical coming of age novel.

Virginia Laydon was the first white child born in Virginia. Very little is actually actually known about her life and her personality. Carbone has given her Virginia the gift of "knowing" or second sight. She uses this ability carefully and wisely to help keep her family safe without raising suspicions from her neighbors. (Not always successfully.) She lives at a time when it took very, very little to be accused of witchcraft and killed.

The book focuses on Virginia's life and community. There is a time of peace with the native tribes--but will it last??? Can either really truly come to trust the other?

My thoughts: I enjoyed Blood on the River. I enjoyed this one too. As I mentioned though she uses real names from the records and other primary sources, all the characters have been fictionalized.

I would recommend to those that enjoy--adore--historical fiction. I would not necessarily place this one in the hands of reluctant readers or history haters.


© 2020 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: