Monday, September 14, 2020

113. Like You Love Me


Like You Love Me. Adriana Locke. 2021. [February] 288 pages. [Source: Review copy]



First sentence: "You're late." The accusation is tossed my way before the door closes behind me.

Premise/plot: Sophie and Holden star in new romance novel by Adriana Locke. Holden spent summers with his grandpa, his Pap, which brought him in and out of Sophie's life quite a bit in their growing up years. But now both are fully grown up and experienced. Both have failed relationships behind them, but do they have a happily ever after before them?

Holden wants to get his dream job--in Florida--but his would-be-boss is looking for a family man with a loving, supportive wife. (And to be fair, at the time he first applied, he was technically engaged to be married). Sophie needs money to pay property taxes on her bed-and-breakfast. (It was her grandmother's bed and breakfast.) The two "need" something from the other that a marriage of convenience would provide. But is playing with happily ever after too much of a risk for their hearts? Can they learn to live without each other once more?

My thoughts: I never know whether to start with what I did like or what I didn't like. About the star rating (if you're reading this at GoodReads and can see my rating), I'd rate it two and a half stars if possible--for the completely and totally neutral rating.

What I Didn't Like:

  • I didn't like the cussing/profanity. This is 100% subjective.
  • I didn't like the graphic-ness of the smut. It was a little too what-goes-where for me. Again this is 100% subjective. Another person might find it steamy and marvelous. (Not me.)


What I Did Like:

  • I liked the small town setting and getting to know a few of the town residents. (Her brother and sister. His grandfather. His receptionist. A few others? like the woman who is famous for her pies?)
  • I liked them as a couple. I wanted them to make it work.
  • I liked having both perspectives. The narrative is told in alternating chapters.
  • I liked that once the initial encounter was graphically portrayed all future encounters were non-graphic and occurred off-page. (This isn't always the case.)


What I found humorous:

Granted this is a netgalley review title, but when she's talking about thread count on the sheets--she's sheet shopping--there's a typo: 

"And guests will pay premium dollar for the little touches like homecooked meals, nice soaps, and threat counts." 

I am guessing people won't pay more to stay at a place where their lives are threatened!!!

 

 

© 2020 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: