Tuesday, October 12, 2021

130. The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline


The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline. (Enola Holmes #5) Nancy Springer. 2009. [160 pages] [Source: Library]

First sentence: "Miss Meschle," said Mrs. Tupper as she took my empty plate away, "if ye 'ave time to set an' talk a while..."

Premise/plot: Enola Holmes' newest case involves her landlady. Her landlady, Mrs. Tupper, just happens (oh-so-conveniently) to be receiving threatening letters in the mail. These threatening letters followed a little while later by a kidnapping....

Enola Holmes will have to outsmart the kidnappers and sort out WHY her landlady is being threatened. All while continuing to outwit her two older brothers.

My thoughts: I didn't like this one as much as I wanted to. I did really like the fourth book in the series. This one not as much. Again, Enola Holmes always manages to find and solve all her cases almost by coincidental circumstances. She is just always in the right place at the right time. I'm not entirely convinced it is her amazing detective skills solving these mysteries so much as coincidence and luck.

 

© 2021 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: