Sunday, October 10, 2021

127. Abel's Island

Abel's Island. William Steig. 1976. 117 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: Early in August 1907, the first year of their marriage, Abel and Amanda went to picnic in the woods some distance from the town where they lived.

Premise/plot: Abel is separated from Amanda as a result of a sudden storm. Both seek shelter, of course, but Abel finds himself situated far from home (from a mouse's perspective) and on an island. Cut off by nature from the home he loves, Abel's challenged in more ways than one. He has to learn how to physically survive in a strange-to-him environment. He also has to deal with the emotional and mental stress caused by loneliness and depression. Will he ever see Amanda again? Will he ever get off the island? What does his future hold for him?

My thoughts: This was my second time to read the novel. I did know what to expect the second time around. Since I read it the first time, I've read Robinson Crusoe and ventured into Swiss Family Robinson. This is survival fiction that just happens to star animals.

I also noticed the second time around that it was his romantic (idealistic) gesture that led to their separation and isolation. Readers get his perspective,  not hers, but it must have been truly terrifying for her. To see him get swept away. And to not know if he even survived. She might have thought he died and blamed herself (for better or worse) for what happened. (Not that she asked him to save the scarf.)

2020 has also happened since I first read this one. I think the isolation and loneliness aspects of this one--and the NOT knowing when--if ever--things could/would get back to "normal" comes into play. Certainly the past two years have impacted how I read this one.

 

© 2021 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Brona said...

That's an interesting comment about how rereading books now will be impacted by everything we have bene through this past couple of years. I think you're right in that we view themes to do with isolation and loneliness through the Covid lens now.

Ticking the 'I am not a robot' box on your comments also means something different to me now that I have read The Bicentennial Man :-)

CLM said...

I think the only book of his owned by my family is Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, which we liked. Just as reading certain books will be impacted by the last 18 months, I have to admit that I stopped enjoying books about mice after having some in my kitchen several years ago. No matter how often my nephew reminded me they were God's creatures, I was revolted and did not want to think of them as sentient beings (even in fiction).

Simon T (StuckinaBook) said...

What a fascinating insight about rereading after the pandemic. Thanks for adding this title to the club - not one I'd heard of.