Friday, December 09, 2022

171. Scribbles, Sorrows, and Russet Leather Boots


Scribbles, Sorrows, and Russet Leather Boots: The Life of Louisa May Alcott. Liz Rosenberg. 2021. 432 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: "On a dismal November day, I found myself, and began my long fight," Louisa May Alcott wrote about her entrance into the world on November 29, 1832. She called her birth day "dismal," though records show a mild autumn all across the United States. Louisa must have been thinking of the family's mood, the inner rather than the outer weather. 

Premise/plot: What you see is exactly what you get: a MG biography of Louisa May Alcott. There are illustrations [by Diana Sudyka] at the start of each chapter. This is in part a straight forward biography of Louisa May Alcott. For many chapters, this is seeing her as a daughter, sister, student. Much [oh-so-much] is said about her parents, her siblings, and how she was raised. Bronson Alcott, well, he was a CHARACTER to say the least. Her mother, also, had her moments. I can't imagine it was an "easy" or "easygoing" childhood for any of the children. Once she comes of age and is a published author--though success wasn't immediate or continuous--the book softens a bit into biography + literary commentary. Her works are introduced and discussed--both unsuccessful and successful. 

My thoughts: I have decided that sometimes it may be better not to know too much about an author. That's not to say I disliked this biography. It's just that if you have a warm, cozy, comfy view of Louisa May Alcott--probably from reading Little Women a little too literally--then that happy, rosy image will be shattered/crushed. Her life is a bit dismal, in some ways. 

I didn't really like her parents. Bronson was definitely WAY, WAY, WAY above my maturity level. I detested him. I wasn't as angry perhaps with Abby [aka Marmee] because I could pity her for having to put up with her husband AND shouldering so much in life. But she has her own issues. 

I do think the book shares just enough details to flesh Louisa May Alcott out. 

I appreciated that this book doesn't seem to have an agenda. So many books about Louisa May/Jo March seem to focus so much on questioning her sexuality, her gender identity, her private life. This book does not do that.

Overall, I'd describe this one as incredibly SAD. 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: