Friday, December 09, 2022

172. Prisoner of War


Prisoner of War. Michael P. Spradlin. 2017. 272 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: When my mom died, my home became a war zone. And my father was the enemy. Surly and resentful, he took out his anger on me. It's ironic that to escape one war, I ran away and found another. But it wasn't a war I chose. It was chosen for me.

Premise/plot: Henry Forrest enlists in the Marines though he is underage. With a little help from his grandfather, he lies about his age and joins up. [I believe he is fourteen, possibly fifteen.] He comes of age during the war. What he couldn't predict when he enlisted was that he'd end up a prisoner of war...

My thoughts: I don't read much world war II fiction set on the Pacific front. Well, in comparison to the European front, I should add. This one was heartbreaking and wonderful at the same time. I loved the relationships in this book. I loved Henry's relationships/friendships with his fellow marines and/or fellow prisoners. I loved, loved, loved the found-family aspect of this one. It kept some hope alive in the novel. I loved the ending.

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: