Monday, March 13, 2023

55. The Headmaster's List


The Headmaster's List. Melissa de la Cruz. 2023. 400 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Spencer couldn't take her eyes away from the officer's pen as it hovered over his report, patiently waiting.

Premise/plot: "One of them was driving. One of them was high. One of them screamed. One of them died." Spencer Sandoval, the protagonist, wakes up in the hospital with no memory surrounding the accident. She remembers breaking up with her boyfriend, Ethan, earlier in the evening. But she doesn't remember getting in the car with Ethan, Tabby (they/them), or Chris Moore. Now Chris Moore--the youngest--is dead. She is determined--at all costs--to find answers. Ethan has been charged and is facing trial. But there are some clues that she uncovers that leads her to believe the whole truth is being hidden from her, that there's more to the story. 

Jackson, Ethan's best friend, teams up with Spencer to help her find out what happened that night. To piece together the whole evening. But she faces hurdles from just about everyone--including Ethan, the police, most of the adults in her life.

My thoughts: The Headmaster's List is a suspense/thriller. It has its intense moments. I liked some things about this one. I did. I didn't love everything. The courtroom scenes--for better or worse--were a little frustrating. Either the prosecutors and defense attorneys were semi-unprofessional OR no one knew when/how to object. I thought those scenes were slightly cringe-y. Spencer's interactions with the police also seemed a little suspect. I can a hundred percent understand why the police could not, would not just release evidence to her--no matter she was in the crash. It's an active case and an active trial. But the officer who talks to her doesn't keep it professional, reasonable, logical. He makes it personal and is an ***. Like he has no people skills whatsoever. And even when she's obviously being stalked and threatened, even when an attempt or two have been made on her life, he's like NOPE, GO AWAY, YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS WITH THE POLICE DEPARTMENT, WE DON'T BELIEVE YOU. It takes incompetence and unprofessionalism to the next level.

I found the lack of adults slightly disconcerting. But perhaps that's only to be expected in YA books??? I do like Spencer's younger sister, and her emotional support dog. The suspense/tension kept me reading.

As an adult, I have to say that I did find this one predictable. I'm not sure if younger readers will pick up on all the twists and turns as early on as I did. So the big, big, big reveal wasn't so much a reveal as a confirmation that I guessed correctly.

© 2023 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: