Sunday, March 12, 2023

Sunday Salon: 5 Books Currently Reading, 5 Books Looking Forward to Starting

5 Books Currently Reading, 5 Books Looking Forward to Starting

To be honest, fair, upfront--I have WAY more than five books I'm currently reading. But I'll share five that I am currently reading and have actual thoughts to share.


Find the Moon Beth Fehlbaum. 2023. 282 pages. [Source: Review copy]

I'm taking it slow--should I be???--because it's a heart-breaker. At least so far. Well-written, characters developed. The story has substance. But oh my heart. 


The Headmaster's List. Melissa de la Cruz. 2023. 400 pages. [Source: Library]

NOT taking this one slow. Something about mysteries [and true-crime] keep me turning pages. I can't say that I love, love, love the characters....but I am invested in what really happened and what will happen.


A Time to Kill. John Grisham. 1989. 738 pages. [Source: Library]

I have NEVER read John Grisham before. Never to my knowledge seen any of the films based on his books. This one started rough. I mean trigger warnings galore. In a time before trigger warnings were even a thing. But I do want to finish the book so I can watch the movie.


Don't You Know There's a War On? Avi. 2001. 208 pages. [Source: Library]

Set during World War II. The narrative style is unique in this one. Really taken the time to write in the character's voice--poor grammar (or is it bad grammar???) and all. Still, it seems to be well-paced. I'm intrigued. 


The Plot is Murder by V.M. Burns. 2017. 254 pages. [Source: Library]

I am so torn with this one. On the one hand, I am intrigued by the character's own mystery novel she's writing. It's a book within a book. On the other hand, the modern day mystery isn't quite living up to my expectations. I wanted to love it. I might yet love it. I am liking that her grandma (and her grandma's friends) are helping her solve the murder. It is reminding me of It's a Southern Thing on YouTube. But not quite loving it.

5 Books I'm Looking Forward To Starting

 It almost goes without saying I have way more than 5 books I'm WANTING to start soon, soon, very soon.


The Book Spy by Alan Hlad. 2023. 304 pages. [Source: Library]

I read my first Alan Hlad novel last year--in the fall I believe. I loved it. I made a note that I *must* read his other books. This is his newest. It features a LIBRARIAN. It is set during the second world war. Hope it is great.


The Escape Game by Marilyn Turk. 2023. 314 pages. [Source: Review copy]

Another historical novel set during World War II. (Are you noticing a pattern????) The teaser from GoodReads: A Board Game Holds Keys to Prisoners' Escape.


Iceberg. Jennifer A. Nielsen. 2023. 352 pages. [Source: Library]

I love, love, love, LOVE her work. And the Titanic setting makes this one a must read.


The Night in Question. Kathleen Glasgow and Liz Lawson. 2023. [May] 416 pages. [Source: Review copy]

Sequel to last year's The Agathas. I really enjoyed that one so much. Hoping the sequel is just as good...if not better.


Between the Sky and the Sea. Lisa Williams Kline. 2023. [February] 324 pages. [Source: Review copy]

Historical fiction. And just look at that cover....





 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: