Tuesday, September 26, 2023

162. Zeus


Zeus: Water Rescue (Dogs with Purpose #1) W. Bruce Cameron. 2023. [August] 288 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Something was happening to my puppy family. 

Premise/plot: Zeus is chosen as a puppy to be trained for water rescue. He bonds with the son (Kimo) of the man who chose him to train. When his initial training fails to thrive--he doesn't seem to understand basic commands--Kimo takes over his training "secretly." He doesn't want Zeus to be sold. But he does want Zeus to succeed as a water rescue dog (and/or search and rescue). 

The book is set, I believe, in Hawaii. Zeus will have an opportunity to prove himself by the end of the novel.

My thoughts: I had a hard time connecting with this one. I'm not sure if this is because a) my expectations were so high b) my attention span was malfunctioning when I sat down to read it c) I wasn't expecting it to be for a slightly older audience. 

I like it well enough to do a general recommendation. It is not 'cutesy' like some of his earlier dog books--like the Lily series. It is more serious-minded than cutesy.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: