Wednesday, September 06, 2023

155. Into Thin Air


Into Thin Air. Jon Krakauer. 1997. 368 pages. [Source: Library] [adult nonfiction]

First sentence: In March 1996, Outside magazine sent me to Nepal to participate in, and write about, a guided ascent of Mount Everest. I went as one of eight clients on an expedition led by a well-known guide from New Zealand named Rob Hall.

Premise/plot: Jon Krakauer shares his [expanded] experiences on a fateful trip to Mount Everest in the spring of 1996. Not all on his expedition 'team' survived their attempt to the summit. The book is slightly confusing in that there were dozens (probably) of different expedition teams led by various people all attempting to climb Mount Everest. The teams weren't exactly taking turns or going in any specific order. So a handful of teams--with six plus people each--could be near one another on the mountain. His story isn't solely focused on his expedition team. It's about those attempting to make the summit on one specific day, May 10, 1996. It turned out to be a very dangerous day in part because of an unexpected storm/blizzard. His story was about--I believe--the risks of commercialization. Is Mount Everest something that should be attempted by just anyone who could pay...or does it require a certain amount of skills, fitness, and experience. Is money more important than safety? That is just the 'big picture' take-away that I got from his journalistic angle (at the beginning). There were and are many other concerns.

My thoughts: The movie was definitely more action-packed and engaging. I am less sure that it is faithful and true to the events. I think here an there that might be some sensationalizing. I think things might be condensed and arranged for the most drama impact. Perhaps. I watched the movie first. Found it very engaging and exciting. I put the book on hold within hours of watching the movie. The book moved at a much slower pace. For better or worse. It was haunting in its own way. I do think the movie might have had fewer characters it was following.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: