Monday, October 09, 2023

168. Unstoppable


Unstoppable: How Bayard Rustin Organized the 1963 March on Washington. Michael G. Long. Illustrated by Bea Jackson. 2023. 40 pages. [Source: Library] [nonfiction picture book; civil rights]

First sentence: Bayard Rustin was a troublemaker. 

Premise/plot: This is a picture book biography for older readers about civil rights activist Bayard Rustin. He dreamed up and planned a march on Washington. Not any march, but what would turn out to be THE march. Not everyone was happy--so the book shares--that he was a leader/planner in the civil rights movement. He was gay, you see. They feared that those on all sides would use that against them all. But he remained a leader and was pivotal to the civil rights movement.

My thoughts: I learned plenty while reading this one. I almost always do learn something when I read nonfiction written for children. I think this one stands out--for many different reasons. But for me, it is the artwork that is most striking. 

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: