Monday, October 09, 2023

169. Impossible Escape


169. Impossible Escape: A True Story of Survival and Heroism in Nazi Europe. Steven Sheinkin. 2023. [August] 256 pages. [Source: Library] [MG Nonfiction; YA Nonfiction]

First sentence:  Rudi would find a way to fight Adolf Hitler. It can be said, without risk of exaggeration, that he would go on to be--while still a teenager--one of the great heroes of the entire Second World War. But not in a way he ever could have imagined.

Premise/plot: Nonfiction for middle school and high school. To be fair, nonfiction for everyone. [But I might be biased in thinking everyone needs to read World War II books, in particular books about the Holocaust.] This one tells the story of two teens: Rudolph (Rudi) Vrba and Gerta Sidonová. 

My thoughts: I had read about Rudi Vrba  [Walter Rosenberg] before in an adult book. So I knew what to expect. It didn't make this one less necessary. I think it is important for stories to be told to all audiences, in appropriate ways of course. I found it a quick, absorbing read. I think for those that know less it might be even more so. 

Last October I read Jonathan Freedland's The Escape Artist. It was an AMAZING, amazing read. Difficult topic/subject to be sure. Definitely thought provoking. This one for young adults seems tamer. But I do think it is still a good read.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: