Wednesday, November 15, 2023

181. I Survived the Great Alaska Earthquake, 1964


I Survived the Great Alaska Earthquake, 1964. Lauren Tarshis. 2023. [November] 144 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: To eleven-year-old Jackson Barrett, it seemed like the world was ending. He was caught in the middle of the most powerful earthquake in United States history. Across Alaska, the ground shattered like glass. Buildings fell to pieces. Icy cliffsides crashed into the sea. Giant tsunami waves smashed into towns and villages along the coast.

Premise/plot: Jackson has grown up in the wilds of Alaska. His family has lived in a tiny cabin they built themself--a bit "off grid" if you will. (Before being off grid was trendy). But a fire caused by a wild bear has the family living in town for a change...and this puts them right in the path of the Great Alaska Earthquake--March 27, 1964. 

My thoughts: All of the I Survived books have a certain formula. This is good news for kids, I'd imagine. You know exactly what to expect and if you love one, chances are you'll enjoy if not love almost all of the others in the series. (Though, of course, there will always be favorites that stand out.) As an adult reader this one won't be making my favorites list. Some in this series prove captivating to me. Others less so. 

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Jean said...

My mom was there!