Monday, January 01, 2024

1. Courage to Dream


Courage to Dream: Tales of Hope in the Holocaust. Neal Shusterman. Illustrated by Andres Vera Martinez. 2023. [October] 256 pages. [Source: Library]

Genre(s): Graphic novel, short stories, historical fiction, speculative fiction, alternate realities, MG fiction, 

First sentence of "He Opens a Window": Gretchen, No! 

Premise/plot: There are five thematically-linked stories told in graphic novel format. The approach isn't strictly historical, each story has a speculative twist [science fiction, fantasy]. It definitely has a Twilight Zone feel. I don't mean it in a glib way. While some might view Twilight Zone as just being entertainment and spooky fun, there are some thought-provoking episodes. The stories in Courage to Dream ARE thought-provoking. They engage you on a what-if or what-might-have-been level. 

The five stories are "He Opens a Window," "Legend Speaks of a Superhero...," "Spirits of Resistance," "Exodus," and "The Untold."

My thoughts: As I mentioned above, this one very much embraces the twisty-turns of speculative fiction.

Will this one be for every reader? Probably not. It isn't historically "true" or "accurate" enough to read to really learn the realities [of the horrors] of the Holocaust. It is very much a serious, sobering sci-fi twist to our reality. 

I found all five stories memorable and haunting. I don't know that I could pick a true favorite of the bunch. "Exodus" might stand out a little more than the others. My least favorite story is probably "Spirits of Resistance" (but I could see it being someone's favorite.)

I do think it can be enjoyed by readers middle grade on up. I found it enjoyable as an adult.

© 2024 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: