Saturday, January 20, 2024

7. Make Way


Make Way: The Story of Robert McCloskey, Nancy Schön, and Some Very Famous Ducklings. Angela Burke Kunkel. Illustrated by Claire Keane. 2023. 48 pages. [Source: Library] [Picture book for older readers; biography; art appreciation]

First sentence of 'prologue': In the beginning, a duck is an egg. A drawing is a blank page. A sculpture is a lump of clay.

First sentence of book: In the beginning, a boy named Bob lives in a place called Hamilton. He wanders the Ohio town with his dog, playing a harmonica, notes trailing behind them. Bob's mind whirs like a motor and his hands move constantly.

Premise/plot: Make Way is a nonfiction picture book for slightly older readers. I do think it is one that adults will be drawn to. It is the a) a mini-biography of Robert McCloskey, children's author and illustrator b) a mini-biography of Nancy Schön, an artist who was inspired by Make Way for Ducklings, c) the story of the impact of ONE children's book, the book being Make Way for Ducklings.

MY thoughts: I can't think about Make Way for Ducklings without thinking about my Mom. This is one that she regularly read to us (my sister and I). After reading this one, I immediately had to go put Robert McCloskey's book on hold. (In fact, I put on hold ALL of his books that my library had in their collection). I think that's a good reaction or response. I hope the author would approve! This picture book is like a love letter.

© 2024 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: