Friday, October 11, 2024

82. Great Expectations

Classic Retellings: Great Expectations by Charles Dickens ADAPTED by Tanya Landman. 2024. 120 pages. [Source: Library] [mg fiction, ya fiction, adapted classic] [3 stars]

First sentence: My story is a long one. There are many twists and turns in my tale. Many people. Many events. All of these will slot together in the end like the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. But time is short. I will be brief. In this slim volume, I will focus on five people. Two men. One honest; one a criminal. Two women. One heartbroken; one who had no heart to break. And myself: Philip Pirrip, known as Pip, who loved them all.

This book is a condensed/adapted retelling of Charles Dickens' Great Expectations. It isn't just abridged. No words of Dickens remain--for better or worse. You are looking at a very stripped down, bare-bones basic retelling--no thrills, frills, or flavors. It doesn't elaborate enough to be helpful for students looking to pass tests or write essays. Though to be fair, it might get the job done if it is a multiple choice quiz. Maybe. 

Does this book have a purpose? Yes. Is it for me? No. 

My background: I read Great Expectations once in high school--hated it; once in college--was indifferent; once as an adult decades later--loved it. While I can certainly relate to every single reader experience that hated it as assigned reading....the fact that it was assigned is not Dickens fault. I do think that this one takes some life experience and wisdom--some years behind you--to better appreciate the story. I don't think it's a good fit for assigned reading unless it is your goal to specifically turn generations against Charles Dickens. While not every adult will turn to Dickens for a good time, I do think that allowing readers the freedom to read Dickens of their own free will is best. Dickens has so many GREAT novels.

© 2024 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: