Saturday, August 22, 2026

Week in Review #35

This week I read seven books!

61. Old Man's War. John Scalzi. 2005. 318 pages. [Source: Library] [adult science fiction, 5 stars, military science fiction]
62. In the Red. Christopher Swiedler. 2020. [March] 288 pages. [Source: Library]
63. Orris and Timble Star Stories. Kate DiCamillo. Illustrated by Carmen Mok. 2026. 80 pages. [Source: Library] [3 stars, early chapter book, animal fantasy]
64. WhoHQ: The Beatles. Ellen Labrecque. Illustrated by Fanny Liem. 2026. 40 pages. [Source: Library] [4 stars, j nonfiction, j biography, music appreciation]
65. Shy. Julie Andrews and Emma Walton Hamilton. 2026. 52 pages. [Source: Library] [4 stars, picture book, animals, music appreciation]
66. We Are All Ears. Jonathan Fenske. 2026. 32 pages. [Source: Library] [beginning reader, 3 stars]
67. Hairy and Scary! Jan Thomas. 2026. 40 pages. [Source: Library] [5 stars, humor, picture book]


Century of Viewing #35

1950s

  • 1956 Invasion of the Body Snatchers. This was such a GREAT movie!!!! I definitely enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The title does say it all. I also love the way the story unfolds--as a flashback. One lone man trying to warn the world....
  • 1959 4D Man. This one has a bit of everything. TWO brothers fall in love with the same girl. Both are scientists. Both want to be inventors. Both have theories that seem impossible. Both end up working for the same company. But one brother, well, he takes things WAY too far. It's got a snazzy, jazzy soundtrack. And it sounds like some of the sound effects in this are the transporter sound effects in Star Trek. Though I'm not saying they are the same, just that they sound extremely similar. IT was a very entertaining film. Very dramatic.


2020s

  • 2026 Agent Kim Reactivated. EXTREMELY action-packed and dramatic. YET there is EMOTION in every episode. A retired agent comes out of retirement (hiding) when something terrible happens to his daughter.



© 2026 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: