Monday, April 16, 2007

Did You Ever Have To Make Up Your Mind...


Smith, Cynthia Leitich. 2007. Tantalize.

Quincie Morris is not your average teen girl. For one thing, her first love and best friend, Kieren, is a werewolf. Another thing that separates her from the crowd: she's being wooed by a vampire. Yes, life for Quincie Morris is not your typical, ordinary one. She's an orphan being raised by her uncle. Together they are running the family restaurant. Due to some recent competition, the restaurant is being rejuvenated and going theme. The theme? vampires. So of course the head chef would need to at least pretend to be a vampire to attract customers. But when murders become an almost weekly occurrence in the neighborhood, Quincie doesn't know what to think. Is the restaurant attracting real vampires? Or is her best friend a serial killer? Who can she trust? Is anyone she loves a suspect? No one is safe in this thrilling vampire tale of murder and seduction.

P.S. The vampires in this novel are very, very bad. Not your blood-abstaining sort.

http://www.cynthialeitichsmith.com/CLS/cyn_books/tantalize/tantalize.html
http://cynthialeitichsmith.blogspot.com/

Want to read more? Enter to win an autographed copy of Tantalize here. Contest ends April 30, 2007. So rush off now before it's too late!

7 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

I put this on my to-read list way back when I first saw a picture of the cover floating around the internet. I have a thing for red-heads and the cover image on this book is beautiful!

Becky said...

You should definitely enter this contest:

http://www.vampress.net/contests.php

Erin said...

I hope you don't mind my asking, but would this count as a "clean read"? (i.e. what ages would you recommend it for?)

Becky said...

It depends on how you define 'clean read'. I definitely would say at least 13+ or maybe even 14+. It would just depend on the reader. For example, there is discussion of sex, but I don't think there are any graphic sex scenes necessarily.
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
It is a vampire novel, and there is some biting and sucking going on in some what personal locations (neck, thighs, stomach, etc.) So it would just depend on what the reader felt comfortable with.
Plus there is violence. If you're not bothered with violence (murder; horrific crime scenes, etc) then it might be appropriate. But if you're sensitive, it might turn your stomach.
As far as language goes, I don't remember it being horrible (littered with f words or anything) but I don't think it would pass a Puritan's standard or anything either.

So 13 or 14 depending on the person's maturity.

Erin said...

Thank you Becky!

Anonymous said...

This one sounds appealing to me - I like vampire stories, a lot. Might be another one for The List! Sounds like a fun read.

Kailana said...

I should mention this series to my friend. She will only read books about vampires where they are of the evil sort.