Saturday, April 18, 2009

Bones of Faerie


Simner, Janni Lee. 2009. Bones of Faerie. Random House. 247 pages.

Loved this one. I mean I knew it would be good when Elizabeth Scott said it was. But still. Oh-so-good. Here's how it starts off:

I had a sister once. She was a beautiful baby, eyes silver as moonlight off the river at night. From the hour of her birth she was long-limbed and graceful, faerie-pale hair clear as glass from Before, so pale you could almost see through to the soft skin beneath.


It continues on, her father being a "sensible" man destroys his own child, his own baby, because she shows signs of being "touched" by faerie. Her sister, Liza, our narrator, can only stand by and watch. Unable to stop her father from this all-too-legal crime. Her name was Rebecca. That Liza remembers.

So here is where the first chapter leaves us, "But the memory of my sister's bones, cracked and bloody in the moonlight, haunts me still."

Is that not a great hook? Doesn't it leave you wanting more? It did me! Liza has a difficult relationship with her father, to say the least, but when her mother disappears--vanishes into the darkness so to speak, Liza has no choice but to obey her tyrannical father. (Of course his tyrannical-ness is housed in being sensible and responsible and wise. Did I mention he has quite the ego?) Or does she...have another choice?

Liza senses something about herself, something that isn't quite right, something that her father would definitely not approve of. And so, brave soul that she is, Liza ventures out, wanders off, in search of who knows what. She only know that she needs to go...

Luckily, Liza won't be alone on this journey. And that's all I have to say about that. Because I want to leave you wanting MORE. I'm not going to go into this oh-so-thrilling adventure quest that is full of magic and then some.

© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews
If you're reading this post on another site, or another feed, the content has been stolen.

8 comments:

Care said...

now those bones will haunt me still! how many thousands of pages are you up to?! :)
CHEERS!

Kailana said...

I really want to read this! I will have to get to it eventually! Maybe the library will buy it for me!

Kim L said...

Wow that is a very compelling read! I'm totally interested now. Best of luck with your reading.

soleil said...

that sounds quite intriguing!

Anonymous said...

Half-related to the post, but I'm amazed by how much you manage to say and review on/of a book during the Read-a-Thon. I do appreciate that.

*pokes book carefully* I'll cave. On the wishlist it goes.

DesLily said...

ok I want this.. dang you Becky! LOL...

Melissa O. said...

Sounds like another one for the wish list! Great review!

Anonymous said...

Ok completely sold. I need to have a rummage around as I have a feeling that somewhere I have a copy of this. Will dig it out if I do and put it higher on my TBR list.