Friday, April 03, 2009

Eon Dragoneye Reborn


Goodman, Alison. 2008. Eon Dragoneye Reborn. Viking. 531 pages.

I let the tips of both my swords dig into the sandy arena floor. It was the wrong move, but the dragging pain in my gut was pulling me into a crouch.

Perhaps it doesn't get off to the best start, what with menstrual cramps and all, but if you can just get past that, I think you'll be swept along into Eon's world. Eon isn't really really Eon. "He" is a she. Eona. But since girls can't be warriors (or Dragoneyes), a false life is a small price to pay for this determined-but-crippled young woman. Trained for most of her life for this test, to reveal her secret identity would be to forfeit not only her training, her dreams, her gifts, but her life as well. Only a few know who she really is. And they've got reasons to keep her secret. This is a compelling story set in a fascinating world. A power-hungry world in a way. A world with plenty of corruption. But an intriguing place all the same. Secrets. Mysteries. Ambition. Greed. Betrayal. The universal struggle of good versus evil. Good stuff.

Every year, twelve young boys are tested to see which will become a Dragoneye apprentice for the ascending dragon of that year (ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon (mirror dragon), snake, horse, goat, monkey, rooster, dog, pig, and rat). If the dragon chooses him, he'll become an apprentice and eventually a master dragoneye. When the book opens, Eon is preparing for such a test.


© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews
If you're reading this post on another site, or another feed, the content has been stolen.

4 comments:

Zibilee said...

I just have to say, you read some really interesting stuff! I am going to check this one out. Thanks!co

Robin M said...

This one is on my list and look forward to reading it. Thanks!

Hazra said...

I love fantasy, and am always looking out for a brand new author (though my TBR is taller than me!). I hope I get to read this one.

Masha said...

I'm afraid that any story with a dragon in it, and I'm sold. Will look out for this one.