Sunday, April 05, 2009

Sunday Salon: Reading, Read, To Read #14


Happy Sunday, everyone! I hope you've had a good week! Lots of things to cover this week.

First things first, don't miss the sign ups for Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-thon. It's not too soon to start making lists of the books you want to list. April 18th is the day.

Speaking of lists, I've joined the Fill in the Gaps 100 Project. Make a list of a hundred books you feel you should read/want to read/need to read. Give yourself five years. Anything 75% or over is considered success. (Meaning, get 75 books read in five years to give yourself a gold star.) I'll be making my list in the next day or so. My invite to join the blog hasn't come yet. But I'll be posting the list of books in both places soon.

What I read in a previous week, but reviewed this week:

Eon Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman. 2008. Viking. 531 pages. (YA Fantasy)
The Black Book of Secrets by F.E. Higgins. 2007. Feiwel and Friends. 273 pages. (YA Fantasy)
A Passion Most Pure by Julie Lessman. Revell. 477 pages. (Adult/Christian)

What I read this past week and reviewed:

The Giant Jam Sandwich by John Vernon Lord and Janet Burroway. 1972 (picture book version); this board book edition 2009) Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. (board book)
The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton. 1942. (picture book version; this board book 2009). Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. (board book)
Houndsley and Catina: Plink and Plunk by James Howe. 2009. Candlewick Press. (early reader)
Tiny & Hercules by Amy Schwartz. 2009. Roaring Book Press. (picture book)
Dragon's Fat Cat by Dav Pilkey. 1992. Scholastic. 48 pages. (early reader)
Cranky Paws (Pet Vet #1) by Darrel & Sally Odgers. 2009. Kane/Miller. 87 pages. (chapter book)
Softwire: Virus on Orbis 1 by PJ Haarsma. 2006. Candlewick. 272 pages. (J/YA novel)

What I read this past week and haven't reviewed yet:

This is What I Want To Tell You by Heather Duffy Stone. 2009. Flux. 233 pages (YA Realistic/YA Romance)
City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare. 2008. Simon & Schuster. 453 pages. (YA Fantasy)

What I've read and really really need to review:

None!

What I'm currently reading:

The Reformed Vampire Support Group. Catherine Jinks. 2009. Harcourt. 362 pages.
A Passion Redeemed by Julie Lessman. 2008. Revell. 477 pages.
The Secret Holocaust Diaries by Nonna Bannister. 2009. Tyndale. 299 pages.

What I'm just fooling around that I'm reading:

Fablehaven: Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary by Brandon Mull. 2009. Shadow Mountain. 535 pages.

What I've abandoned:

The Kingmaking by Helen Hollick. Sourcebooks. 2009.

Last but not least, more zombies to pass along. I received the zombie chicken award this week from Just Your Typical Book Blog and I could have sworn there was another one...but I can't find it now. Oh well.

The blogger who receives this award believes in the Tao of the zombie chicken - excellence, grace and persistence in all situations, even in the midst of a zombie apocalypse. These amazing bloggers regularly produce content so remarkable that their readers would brave a raving pack of zombie chickens just to be able to read their inspiring words. As a recipient of this world-renowned award, you now have the task of passing it on to at least 5 other worthy bloggers. Do not risk the wrath of the zombie chickens by choosing unwisely or not choosing at all...
Five I'm passing it along to:

Finding Wonderland
A Patchwork of Books
Biblio File
The 3 R's
The Written World


© Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews
If you're reading this post on another site, or another feed, the content has been stolen.

5 comments:

samantha.1020 said...

I'm curious as to hear your thoughts on The Kingmaking...I saw that you had put it aside. Was it just not working for you or did you not like the storyline? Just curious :)

Vasilly said...

I'm glad you joined Project Fill-in-the gaps! I joined last week and just finished the last touches on my list yesterday. I can't wait to see your lists for both projects!
Have a good week!

Confuzzled Shannon said...

April 18th is the READ A THON! Crap why is everything landing on the 18th for me.

Florinda said...

Thanks so much for the award, Becky - you know I've been coveting a Zombie Chicken!

Becky said...

Samantha, I put it aside because it was bogging down. It was very detailed and maybe if I knew more about Arthur going into it then it would have held my interest. But as it was, I was waiting and waiting and waiting for something to happen.

Vasilly, I'm excited about this one. But a little overwhelmed as well.

Shannon, I don't know. :) But I hope you can take part in the read-a-thon. It's very fun...and the more the merrier and all...

Florinda, it's the least I can do for a kindred spirit.