Monday, April 09, 2012

Pandemonium (YA)

Pandemonium. Lauren Oliver. 2012. HarperCollins. 384 pages.

Alex and I are lying together on a blanket in the backyard of 37 Brooks. The trees look larger and darker than usual. The leaves are almost black, knitted so tightly together they blot out the sky. 

Pandemonium is the sequel to Lauren Oliver's Delirium. To get the most out of Pandemonium, you probably should make a point of reading the first book, though I don't think it's essential. It had been a full year since I'd read Delirium, so much so that I was, "Alex, who?!" But then again I remember being unimpressed with the romantic storyline in Delirium to begin with. Which made Pandemonium a VERY interesting read for me!!!


The novel definitely has a different format. The chapters are arranged "now" and "then." Readers are thrown in the middle of two stories with no idea really how the main character, Lena, got from one to the other.  In both realities, Lena is still missing Alex, the man she loved and lost in the first novel. But one reality is set in the wild and has Lena interacting with "Invalids" those who have not had the cure, those who don't want to be cured of love or passion. These chapters are all about survival, learning the skills it takes to survive. The other reality has Lena back in society...and mingling with the enemy.

The "now" story definitely proved more thrilling...in my opinion! Once she meets Julian Fineman. I don't want to spoil the book for anyone. I really don't. Maybe I just don't remember enough about Alex to care, but I definitely enjoyed Julian! These two had some great scenes--very exciting, very intense--together!

Read Pandemonium
  • If you enjoy dystopias, particularly YA dystopias. (The premise is that love is a disease that needs to be cured--with surgery. Strong emotions are bad--not just for society, but for individuals as well. Love is too dangerous to be allowed to exist.)
  • If you enjoyed Lauren Oliver's Delirium
  • If you enjoy your science fiction with a bit of mystery, action, and romance
  • If you enjoy YA books

© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

5 comments:

Shirley said...

I read this one shortly after reading Delirium so Alex was still fresh in my mind so I struggled with her "change of heart". I enjoyed the story just the same.

Areizaga said...

Hi, find your post interesting and informative. I'll drop by again sometime. Thanks!

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

I loved delirium but I'm thinking I'll enjoy Pandemonium all the same. I remember Alex and thought he was sweet but really he could have been a friend. He didn't have to be a love interest so I'm looking forward to meeting Julian.

Sherry said...

I'm looking forward to reading this one. I don't remember much about the first novel in the series, except that I liked it.

xWish said...

Thank you for your review~ I was thinking of not reading the book because the ending of Delirium just upset me so much! After reading this review, I just have to give this series another chance! Thank you!

Oh also, I just started a reading blog. It would be great if you can drop by and give me some tips for a newbie like me. Thanks again!

http://xwishreadingcorner.blogspot.ca/