Friday, March 08, 2013

Why Shoot a Butler? (1933)

Why Shoot a Butler? Georgette Heyer. 1933. 352 pages.

While I've read plenty by Georgette Heyer, Why Shoot a Butler (1933) was my first mystery novel by Heyer. I definitely enjoyed it! Mr. Amberley, our detective hero, is on the way to visit his aunt, uncle, and cousin. He's lost his way because he followed his cousin Felicity's directions. While he's trying to find his way, he sees a woman on the side of the road. Upon further investigation, he realizes that this woman is standing by a car...a car with a dead body in it. Amberley is convinced of two things: he does NOT like this strange woman, their conversation was, well, awkward to say the least; but, his instinct is telling him that she is innocent of murder...and that if he were to report her being found by the body that she'd be arrested. The police probably wouldn't look hard for the real murderer then. 

His visit with the family goes well. And as the murder investigation gets under way, he stays around and does his own investigation. He learns more and more about this woman, Shirley Brown, and her brother. He is on her side even if she doesn't want him on her side or by her side...


I really loved this one and found it very pleasant.
 

Read Why Shoot A Butler
  • If you enjoy Georgette Heyer
  • If you like British mysteries
  • If you like vintage mysteries of the 1930s
  • If you like mysteries with a touch of romance
© 2013 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

JaneGS said...

I read this a couple of years ago and liked it--it's the only mystery by Heyer that I've read, but it is definitely from the Golden Age of Detective stories.

Enjoyed your review--must read more Heyer mysteries!

Ryan said...

I have yet to read a Heyer mystery, though I really do want to. I may try to get my hands on this one sometime this year.