Monday, June 02, 2014

World War I for Kids: A History With 21 Activities

World War I for Kids: A History with 21 Activities. R. Kent Rasmussen. 2014. Chicago Review Press. 192 pages. [Source: Review copy]

World War I, or "The Great War," is a complex subject or topic. It can be difficult for adults to understand at times. I thought Rasmussen did an admirable job in simplifying it for middle grade readers in his World War I for Kids. He breaks the war down into twelve chapters:

  • The Road to War
  • Stalemate on the Western Front
  • Trench Warfare
  • Other Fronts
  • The Weapons of War
  • The War at Sea
  • The War in the Air
  • Animals Go to War
  • Enter the United States
  • The Home Fronts
  • Ending the Fighting
  • Beyond the Armistice
Each chapter has at least one activity associated with it. For example, the first chapter, "The Road to War," the activity is making a military recruiting poster. The activities vary, which, in my opinion, is a very good thing. Other activities include: writing a poem about the war, pressing flowers to send home from the war, reading a world war I era adventure novel, making parachutes and gas masks, training a dog to carry a message, cooking "Maconochie Stew." There are twenty-one activities in all.

I found the book to be informative, very well-researched. The layout was nice as well, plenty of photographs and maps. It is always important for nonfiction to be as appealing as possible. As I was reading it, a few Horrible Histories sketches came to mind, which was good fun.

© 2014 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

Search Book Blogs Search Engine

The background is based on a background I found here...with some small adjustments on my part so it would work with the template.
Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP