Friday, November 28, 2014

2015 Genre Decades Reading Challenge

I'm excited to host the Genre Decades Reading Challenge. Here's how it works:

1) Choose a decade. I'd recommend starting with one. If you finish you can always come back for another! You will be reading TEN books. One book for each year of the decade you choose. You may choose to sign up for more than one decade from the start. But it's ten books per decade you choose. So it would be committing to twenty books if you choose two.

2) Choose your genre. Or genres. You may choose up to five genres for a single decade. (Two books per genre.) It is up to you if you want a single genre or multiple genres. Genre is different from audience. So if you choose fantasy, you may read fantasy for children, young adults, or adults. But "young adult" is not in and of itself a genre. You can definitely make this challenge your own. For example:
  • sci-fi from the seventies
  • fantasy from the eighties
  • historical fiction from the thirties
  • mysteries from the fifties
  • romances from the forties
  • paranormal from the nineties
3) If you want to make the challenge more difficult, you might consider reading one book per genre per year of your decade. So minimum of ten books, maximum of fifty.

4) Up to five rereads are allowed per decade. I love to reread I do. But part of a challenge is to discover new books and new authors.

5) Reviews are not required. But. They are fun to read! So if you do blog your reviews, you may share links. You may give updates on your progress by leaving comments if you do not have a blog. Definitely let me know when you finish the challenge. I'd love to see your finished list.

6) Sign up in the comments on this post.

ETA (January):
*While I prefer participants to read books from ten different years, I am not horribly strict. So if you are having a difficult time finding one or two years for your decade, for example, feel free to read two more books from any year in that decade so you can complete the challenge.
* As for sharing review links--not a requirement, by the way--you may either add links and titles to your sign-up post--So that there are working links to all the reviews in one convenient post. OR you may leave review links in the comment of this post.

© 2014 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

15 comments:

Bev Hankins said...

Becky:

Great Challenge! I am in--for two decades. Here is my sign-up post: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2014/11/2015-genre-decades-challenge.html.

Cynthia said...

That sounds like a great challenge! Unfortunately I am already participating in one challenge. I don't like to commit to too much because it limits what I can read. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, this is such a great idea! I'm definitely going to participate. I decided to choose mysteries from the thirties as I really need to read more Agatha Christie books and Nancy Drew. :)

Elaine said...

Thanks for hosting this challenge! I am excited to read three decades...Here is my sign-up post: http://series-ouslyaddicted.blogspot.com/2014/12/2015-genre-decades-reading-challenge.html

Cassandra @ Wickedly Delicious Tales said...

Very cool idea! I'm in for 90s sci-fi, fantasy, paranormal. My post is HERE.

Cassandra @ Wickedly Delicious Tales said...

Okay, I accidentally deleted my original challenge post. Here is the corrected post link: HERE. Everything else is still the same!

Bev Hankins said...

First one done! Ten Thousand Light-Years from Home 1970s SF

LibriAmoriMiei said...

Thanks for hosting! I'm in for 30s mystery! This is my link http://libriamicimiei.blogspot.it/2015/01/2015-genre-decades-reading-challenge.html

Unknown said...

I'm all set! I'll be reading mystery, sci-fi, fantasy, and horror books from the '80s. My post is here.

Bev Hankins said...

And my first 1930s Mystery: The Case of the Painted Girl by Frank King

Anonymous said...

Hm, the Victorian doesn't work for me with bingo. I could, if it allowed anything from the Victorian era. However Genre Decades is up my alley! When I figure out where I'd like my creativity to fit in, I'll bring a post. I hope you'll be a guest of mine. International prizes. :) https://cmriedel.wordpress.com/riedel-challenges-2015/

Anonymous said...

I e-mailed a question about whether we need every year of a decade, or 10 books published anytime in our decade. I look forward to your e-mail on that and the rest. I mentioned Blogspot is harsh for getting comments through from other sites but yours is better than many. Without linkies, communication needs to work somehow. :) Here's my post! Carolyn. https://cmriedel.wordpress.com/2015/01/30/firsts-birthday-decades/

Becky said...

Some overlap would be okay, if you're having difficulty finding a specific year from a decade and you've got another book from a duplicate year that you really want to read. But I would prefer not to see ten books from the same year :)

Bev Hankins said...

I've completed my 1930s Mysteries! Links to book reviews may be found on my original sign-up link (above).

1. The Avenging Parrot by Anne Austin [1930]
2. The Case of the Painted Girl by Frank King [1931] (1/6/15)
3. Two & Two Make Twenty-Two by Gwen Bristow & Bruce Manning [1932] (7/23/15)
4. The Case of Colonel Marchand by E. C. R. Lorac [1933] (4/27/15)
5. The Riddle of the Traveling Skull by Harry Stephen Keeler [1934] (6/21/15)
6. The Bat Flies Low by Sax Rohmer [1935]
7. The Murder of Sir Edmund Godfrey by John Dickson Carr [1936] (4/8/15)
8. Double Cross Purposes by Father Ronald A. Knox [1937] (6/3/15)
9. Brighton Rock by Graham Greene [1938] (3/2/15)
10. The Smiler with the Knife by Nicholas Blake [1939] (4/21/15)

Bev Hankins said...

Just finished my last SF book from the Seventies. Here's my LINK for my wrap-up post. thanks for hosting!