Friday, November 07, 2014

Nonfiction November, Week 1 Questions

Nonfiction November
Hosts: Sophisticated Dorkiness, Regular Rumination, I'm Lost In Books, Doing Dewey

Week 1: November 3 to 7 (Hosted by Kim)

Your Year in Nonfiction: Take a look back at your year of nonfiction and reflect on the following questions – What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year? What nonfiction book have you recommended the most? What is one topic or type of nonfiction you haven’t read enough of yet? What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November?

My (rambling) answer (of sorts):

I intentionally read nonfiction throughout 2014. Every Monday, I reviewed a nonfiction book. By the end of the year, I will have read just over fifty nonfiction books. Probably the most nonfiction I've ever read in a year. And if you count the theology and christian living that I read, then, the number grows. I could never choose just one as being my favorite of the year.

Every Saturday, I choose a favorite book. There have been a handful of weeks where the nonfiction book WAS my favorite of the week. Here are the books that had that distinction:

The Boys in the Boat. Daniel James Brown. 2013. Viking. 416 pages. [Source: Library] 

The Boy on the Wooden Box by Leon Leyson. 2013. Simon & Schuster. 240 pages. [Source: Library] 

Meet Me in St. Louis: A Trip to the 1904 World's Fair. Robert Jackson. 2004. HarperCollins. 144 pages. [Source: Bought]

Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World: The Extraordinary True Story of Shackleton and the Endurance. Jennifer Armstrong. 1998. Random House. 144 pages. [Source: Library]
Frozen in Time. Mitchell Zuckoff. 2013. Harper. 391 pages. [Source: Library]  


God's Double Agent: The True Story of A Chinese Christian's Fight for Freedom. Bob Fu. Baker Books. 2013. 336 pages. [Source: Bought]

Mission at Nuremberg. Tim Townsend. 2014. HarperCollins. 400 pages. [Source: Library]



The Dog Who Could Fly: The Incredible True Story of a WWII Airman and the Four-Legged Hero Who Flew At His Side. Damien Lewis. 2014. Simon & Schuster. 304 pages. [Source: Library] 
The Hiding Place. Corrie Ten Boom. With John and Elizabeth Sherrill. 1971/1984/1995. Chosen. 228 pages. [Source: Bought] 

An Autobiography. Agatha Christie. 1977/1996. Berkley. 635 pages. [Source: Bought]

The Port Chicago 50: Disaster, Mutiny, and the Fight for Civil Rights. Steve Sheinkin. 2014. Roaring Brook. 208 pages. [Source: Library]

Several books that almost, almost made the list:
Unbroken. Laura Hillenbrand. 2010. Random House. 473 pages. [Source: Library]
Out of the Depths. Edgar Harrell, with David Harrell. 2014. Bethany House. 192 pages. [Source: Library]


© 2014 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Kim (Sophisticated Dorkiness) said...

The Boys in the Boat was one of my favorite books last year. I've recommended it to a bunch of different people. Thanks for joining us for Nonfiction November!

Leslie @ This is the Refrain said...

Thank you for reminding me about The Boys in the Boat! I'm one of the people Kim mentioned above, so I'm going to have to get my act together and read it soon! Thanks for participating in Nonfiction November this month!

Amy said...

Varied and interesting list - I'll have to check some of them out.