Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Dragon Spear (2009)

Dragon Spear. Jessica Day George. 2009. Bloomsbury USA. 248 pages. [Source: Library]

Dragon Spear is the last in the series. I struggled with this one the first time I read it. At the time, I blamed it completely on the fact that I hadn't read the other two books recently enough. Surely, if I had remembered the first two books better, this one would be just as wonderful, right?! Did reading all three books within a week help? Yes. That being said, did I love this third book? Not as much as I wanted to love it. I wanted to love it just as much as the first book, so the series would end just as strong and wonderful as it began. What I continued to love, love, love were the characters. What I didn't quite love was all the action. I actually found the action-sequences a bit confusing in this third book. Creel and Luka and their friends are once again in danger--great danger--and war seems inevitable. This time a dragon civil war. It's action-packed with plenty of intensity. (This book has volcanoes.) It had its light moments, as well, which I enjoyed. (Like when Creel's aunt and uncle come to visit the royal family). Overall, I found myself liking it. But when you've LOVED, LOVED, LOVED previous books in the series, "really liking" feels a bit disappointing. (But that's just when you compare all three books to one another. Comparing Dragon Spear to other MG/YA Fantasy books, it's still a very good, very strong read.)

© 2015 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews


Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

Search Book Blogs Search Engine

The background is based on a background I found here...with some small adjustments on my part so it would work with the template.
Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP