Sunday, January 21, 2007

Celebrating 150!


Today I am celebrating my 150th post! I am also anticipating tomorrow's announcements of best lists and awards (Newbery, Caldecott, etc) from the American Library Association. So for today's post I have prepared my own list of 'bests' celebrating some of the books that made 2006 so great.

If I had to pick a top five list of books that just made me feel good--really good--that satisfied me as a reader and left me wanting more...

The Road to Paris by Nikki Grimes--possibly one of the best books I've ever read

Rash by Pete Hautman--hysterically funny, sarcastic, and a real 'must read' of the year...

Hit the Road by Caroline B. Cooney--again a very funny book, one that would make a great read aloud or audio book. It is an intergenerational read as well.

Cookies: Bite Size Life Lessons by Amy Rosenthal--though some may find the pictures a bit too cutesy, I love the text of this picture book. And for the record, I'm not one of those criticizing the illustrations. I love everything about this picture book.

King Dork by Frank Portman--while King Dork isn't a book for everyone--some may find the narrator a bit too honest when it comes to some small details in a young boy's life--it is funny and enjoyable and had me hooked from the very first paragraph.

Best historical fiction:

Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Weedflower by Cynthia Kadohata
Bread and Roses, Too by Katherine Paterson
Singing Hands by Delia Ray
Desperate Journey by Jim Murphy
A Summer of Kings by Han Nolan
Loving Will Shakespeare by Carolyn Meyer
The Book of Bright Ideas by Sandra Kring
Night of the Burning by Linda Press Wulf
Aftershock by William Lavender

Best realistic fiction and/or romance:

Skin by Adrienne Maria Vrettos
Mercy Unbound by Kim Antieau
Just Listen by Sarah Desse
King Dork by Frank Portman
The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl by Barry Lyga
Rash by Pete Hautman
When It Happens by Susane Colasanti
I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have To Kill You by Ally Carter
Hit the Road by Caroline Cooney
All of the Above by Shelley Pearsall
The Road to Paris by Nikki Grimes


Best fantasy, science fiction, or supernatural

New Moon by Stephenie Meyer
Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz
Storm Thief by Chris Wooding
Tanglewreck by Jeanette Winterson
Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer
Everlost by Neal Shusterman
Endymion Spring by Matthew Skelton
Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor
Here There Be Dragons by James A. Owen
Peter and the Shadow Thieves by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson
Peter Pan in Scarlet by Geraldine McCaughrean
Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
Specials by Scott Westerfeld
Runaway Princess by Kate Coombs
River Secrets by Shannon Hale

Best picture books

But Excuse Me That Is My Book by Lauren Child
The Princess and the Pea by Lauren Child
Dooby Dooby Moo by Doreen Cronin
Lilly's Big Day by Kevin Henkes
Cookies: Bite Size Lessons by Amy Rosenthal
Ballet of the Elephants by Leda Schubert

Best nonfiction

The American Story by Jennifer Armstrong
Freedom Walkers by Russell Freedman
Up Before Daybreak by Deborah Hopkinson
Over A Thousand Hills I Walk With You by Hanna Jansen
Dear Miss Breed by Joanne Oppenheim

1 comment:

Kim Antieau said...

Hi, Becky. I remember you liked Mercy, Unbound. I had a new book out in 2007, Broken Moon, and another one is coming out this summer, Ruby's Imagine.

Hope all is well. I'm a librarian, too!