Wednesday, April 22, 2020

59. Brass Carriages and Glass Hearts

Brass Carriages and Glass Hearts. (Steampunk Proper Romance #4) Nancy Campbell Allen. 2020. [April] Shadow Mountain. 368 pages. [Source: Review copy] [alternate history; vampires; shape shifters; romance]

First sentence: Emmeline Castle O’Shea stood at a podium in the balcony of the Municipal Hall for Citizen Affairs and looked out with satisfaction at the murmuring crowd, feeling the energy build in the large room as she finished speaking.

Premise/plot: Emme, our feminist heroine, is forced to spend company with a detective, Oliver Reed, when her life is threatened by a Bad Letter. Her new body guard becomes quite caught up in her life and causes. Emme is quite involved in the cause for Shifter Rights.

The book is labeled as a steampunk retelling of Cinderella. It is the fourth in a series of retelling. Supposedly each can stand alone.

My thoughts: Would I have enjoyed this one more if I was familiar with other titles in the series?!?! Probably. I do think this steampunk world has a good deal of world building to it, character building. Other reviews indicate that characters from other books appear in this one.

How much Cinderella is there to this retelling? Not much in my opinion. The connection is faint if present at all. I will say her new friend Gus (a good vampire) is one of the more memorable characters.

I do like the relationship of Oliver and Emme. If this wasn’t labeled a retelling of Cinderella would I have enjoyed it more?! 


© 2020 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Lark said...

I loved Beauty and the Clockwork Beast by Allen, but I haven't read any of her other books in this series.