Saturday, January 30, 2021

January Reflections


I read a total of twenty-five books in January 2021. Twelve were review copies; thirteen were either books I bought or books I received as a gift. Six were rereads and nineteen were new-to-me. Nine earned five stars. Of those nine, four were rereads. 

The two books I reread that didn't earn five stars were Pinocchio--which is good but not that good--and Pygmalion which just doesn't come close to the screen play of the same name or the musical My Fair Lady. (Plus the ending of the play is just weird...like he got tired of writing a play and slapped on an epilogue with minimal amount of effort.) 

My LEAST favorite book was Robinson Crusoe merely for the fact that the kindle version I read had NO CHAPTERS and combined the original book with one or more sequels. It was TEDIOUS and OBNOXIOUS.

I don't know that I can call just one favorite book. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the play The Importance of Being Earnest. 

I loved revisiting Ruth. (Why is it that I FORGET every single time THE ENDING?!?!?!?!) I loved taking my time with the time travel rom-com TO SAY NOTHING OF THE DOG. That would make a great movie!!!!! It really would. Surely I'm not the only one who wants to see Connie Willis' Oxford Time Travel series filmed! 

I was most surprised by The Great Cookie War. Delightfully surprised. 

And Practicing Thankfulness still has me thinking! 

Books reviewed at Becky's Book Reviews

1. Georgana's Secret. Arlem Hawks. 2021. [January] Shadow Mountain. 320 pages. [Source: Review copy] JANUARY    
2. The Abbey Mystery (Jane Austen Investigates #1). Julia Golding. 2021. [April] 192 pages. [Source: Review copy] JANUARY
3. Jane Austen's Best Friend: The Life and Influence of Martha Lloyd. Zoe Wheddon. 2021. Pen and Sword. 224 pages. [Source: Review copy]
4. The Bostonians. Henry James. 1886. 460 pages. [Source: Bought]
5. Reuben and the Amazing Mind Machine. Jonathan M. Hughes. 2021 [January] 128 pages. [Source: Review copy]
6. Twenty-One Days. (Daniel Pitt #1) Anne Perry. 2018. 303 pages. [Source: Review copy]
7. Ruth. Elizabeth Gaskell. 1853. 432 pages. [Source: Bought]
8. Pygmalion. George Bernard Shaw. 1912. 96 pages. [Source: Bought]
9. The Importance of Being Earnest. Oscar Wilde. 1895. 76 pages. [Source: Bought]
10. To Say Nothing of the Dog. (Oxford Time Travel #2) Connie Willis. 1998. 512 pages. [Source: Bought]

Books reviewed at Young Readers

1. This Is Your Time. Ruby Bridges. 2020. [November] 64 pages. [Source: Review copy]
2. Pinocchio. Carlo Collodi. 1883. 160 pages. [Source: Bought]
3. Judy Moody Was In A Mood. (Judy Moody #1) Megan McDonald. Illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds. 2000/2020. 160 pages. [Source: Bought]
4. Stink: The Incredible Shrinking Kid. (Stink #1) Megan McDonald. Illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds. 2005. 112 pages. [Source: Bought]
5. The Great Cookie War. Caroline Stellings. 2021. [April] 160 pages. [Source: Review copy]
6. No Bows. Shirley Smith Duke. Illustrated by Jenny Mattheson. 2006. 32 pages. [Source: Gift from author]
7. My Chocolate Year: A Novel with Twelve Recipes to Make Your World A Little Sweeter. Charlotte Herman. Illustrated by LeUyen Pham. 2008. 176 pages. [Source: Review copy]
8. "Stand Back," Said the Elephant, "I'm Going to Sneeze!" Patricia Thomas. Illustrated by Wallace Tripp. 1971. 32 pages. [Source: Bought]

Books reviewed at Operation Actually Read Bible

1. A Book of Comfort for Those In Sickness. Philip Bennett Power. 1876/2018. Banner of Truth. 97 pages. [Source: Bought] (five stars)
2. The Quick-Read Bible: Understanding God's Word From Beginning to End in 365 Daily Readings. Harvest House Publishers. 272 pages. 2021 [March] [Source: Review copy]
3. Foxe's Book of Martyrs. John Foxe. 1563/2001. 416 pages. [Source: Bought]
4. Robinson Crusoe. Daniel Defoe. 1719/2019. AmazonClassics. 571 pages. [Source: Bought]
5. Come, Sweet Day: Thoughts and Poems from Hard Times to Hope: A Writer's Journey. Julianne Donaldson. 2021. [April] 96 pages. [Source: Review copy]
6. Practicing Thankfulness: Cultivating A Grateful Heart in All Circumstances. Sam Crabtree. 2021. [February] Crossway. 144 pages. [Source: Review copy]
7. The Stone Wall. Beverly Lewis. 2020. Bethany House. 352 pages. [Source: Review copy]

 Totals:

January
Number of Books25
Number of Pages5587

2021 Totals
Books25
Pages5587

 

 

© 2021 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

3 comments:

Joy said...

Oh wow. 25 books in a month! I love that you read from different sort of genres.

I hope you'll have a great reading week!

fredamans said...

Quite low compared to previous months but still better than most! Happy February!

Paula Vince said...

What a great January. I agree with you re: Robinson Crusoe, which I read at Uni years ago and found so tedious and dull. I'd like to read more Gaskell, and Ruth is one I haven't read yet. The Importance of Being Earnest is great, and you've kindled my curiosity about To Say Nothing of the Dog :)