Tuesday, February 22, 2022

28. Total Recall


Total Recall. Philip K. Dick. 1966. 31 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: He awoke--and wanted Mars. The valleys, he thought. What would it be like to trudge among them?

Premise/plot: Originally published as a short story called, "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale," it was adapted into the film Total Recall. Douglas Quail, our hero, is always dreaming--day and night--of going to Mars. But since going to Mars is NOT in his budget realistically, he is hoping that visiting Rekal, Incorporated, for (false) implanted memories (complete with souvenirs) will be almost as good. Maybe his wife still wouldn't approve, but, even if it just shuts him up a bit, maybe she won't stay annoyed with him. (He does go on and on and on about wanting to go to Mars.) But...turns out that implanting memories isn't as straight forward as he thought it would be...suddenly his life is turned upside down and inside out.

My thoughts: I enjoyed this one so much!!! I had low expectations. I'm not all that familiar with Philip K. Dick's work. This story made me want to read more of his books to see what else I've been missing out on.

I have not watched the film adaptation yet, but I hope to get to it soon.

 

© 2022 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: