Sunday, February 12, 2023

Sunday Salon #7 Newbery Expectations


Two weeks ago (???) the Newbery winner and honors were announced. My holds are starting to come in at the library, and have been coming in this past week. I started reading some of the Newbery and Caldecott books (winners, honors). Doing so always comes with EXPECTATIONS. Perhaps not every reader approaches an "award winner" with expectations, with baggage. But I'm not every reader. That's why I personally prefer to read as many contenders before the big announcement. Of course, that's a BIG impossible dream. No one (perhaps with the exception of Ms. Yingling) can read every book that might win. (There are rules and guidelines).

Newbery Medal --

  • Freewater by Amina Luqman-Dawson.

Newbery Honors --

  • Iveliz Explains It All by Andrea Beatriz Arango
  • The Last Mapmaker by Christina Soontornvat
  • Maisy Chen's Last Chance by Lisa Yee

I've got all four checked out. I've finished Iveliz Explains It All (which was the one that came in first to the library). I'm in the middle of Freewater. I haven't started the other two.

I have a love-hate relationship with the Newbery. On the one hand, there have been some amazing books that have (rightfully) won (or been honored). On the other hand, sometimes they lack--let's be honest--actual appeal. They may be "IMPORTANT" or "SIGNIFICANT." But be dull as dirt for some-many readers. (Of course, every book will have its reader. Every book has the potential to be "the one" for some reader. Not every book can be "the one" for every single reader.) Sometimes I think actual enjoyment is the last thing on the mind of the committee. Of course, enjoyment is 10000% subjective. So it makes sense as to why there have to be objective guidelines. 

Questions:

Have you read this year's books?
Do you have a favorite from this year's honors and winner?
What expectations do you bring to a book?
Do you have a favorite (all years/any year) Newbery winner?
Which book would you have loved to see win this year?

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Ms. Yingling said...

Ah, thanks for the shout out! I did think that Maizy Chen's Last Chance was very good, and its appealed to my students, which is the big thing I look for in books. I also have a love/hate relationship with the award, but I did manage to read just about everything that won, with the exception of some picture books.