Sunday, February 19, 2023

Sunday Salon #8 Almost Books

What is an almost book? It is a book that *almost* works for me, or, a book that I *almost* love, or, even a book I can *almost* recommend. 

Almost books are tricky. Because within each almost book is strong potential. There may be a few characters that I love. There may be an intriguing story or premise. There are usually just a few tiny (or not so tiny) things that hold me back just a little. 

Almost books always get finished. Because I am holding out hope until the very last page, last paragraph, last sentence that there will be something persuasive and satisfying that ultimately wins me over. 

Almost books are books that stay with me, that live in my head. At least for a few days or few weeks. With as tricky as almost books can be, reviewing almost books is always helpful. Perhaps not helpful to those on the fence. But helpful to me. I can have hundreds of thoughts racing around--some positive, some negative. For me to make sense of my thoughts, I *have* to write. Sometimes I start composing my review in my head hours--if not days--before I sit down at the computer to write a proper review.

When I read reviews of *my* "almost" book, I'm never surprised to see other people who love it. Nor am I surprised to see other people who have issues with it, or have hesitations about gushing. I find it helpful to read reviews. I don't usually read reviews before I write my own review--with the exception of the times I read reviews BEFORE I read the book. I might read a dozen or so reviews before I decide to read a book.  

I don't think being an almost book is a bad thing. Reading is subjective. So long as any review of an almost book explains the personal reasoning of why it didn't work, then that review can be helpful.  

This past week, I encountered a few "almost" books. 

It's also been a busy week!!!

Books Read in 2023109
Pages Read in 202325,301

Questions:

Do you look at a book's ratings before deciding to read it? Have you ever read a book because it had so many five star reviews? Or have you ever not read a book because it had such low ratings?

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't have a lot of time to read so I always look at the Goodreads ratings before I put a book on hold. Generally, I won't read a book unless it is a Goodreads 4.0 or higher.
Thank you for all of your great suggestions over the years!