Wednesday, July 12, 2023

131. Quantum Radio


Quantum Radio. A.G. Riddle. 2023. 562 pages. [Source: Library] [adult science fiction; multi-verse]

First sentence: In an auditorium at CERN, Tyson Klein stood behind a wooden podium, watching his colleagues arrive. It was the end of the workday, and most seemed tired. 

Premise/plot: Tyson (Ty) Klein is one of four protagonists in A.G. Riddle's newest science fiction thriller. His newest discovery proves dangerous. The day he reveals his latest research, an attempt is made on his life. He flees to the United States with the help of his father. But it comes at a cost. The powers that be in the U.S. don't want him so closely involved in the project--even if it does rely heavily on his research. Both the "good guys" and the "bad guys" want to be the first to build and use a quantum radio. No one is quite sure exactly, exactly what it will do...but there is this race to be first. 

When it is turned on or dialed, Ty and three companions are transported to an alternate universe--one of many in the multi-verse. They have a mission to solve though none of the four know what it is they are supposed to be doing. But they get an idea that that world--at least--will end within the week if they don't stop it from ending.

My thoughts: This one had all the elements that you would think I would naturally love, love, love. It reminded me in many ways of one of my favorite, favorite all-time favorite television shows that was cancelled way too soon. Perhaps because I kept thinking of that show--its twists and turns--I had a harder time connecting with the book in hand. That plus my natural skepticism/realism when it comes to "good guys" and "bad guys" in science fiction. There are obvious-obvious bad-guys, no doubt, but I'm not personally sure that the from-the-future-in-an-alternate-universe "good" guys are being 100% honest and straightforward. 

This one stayed a strong "almost" for me for most of the novel. I think if the plot was a little tighter, perhaps, I would have loved it more? Or maybe I just need it to be a television show.

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: