Monday, July 17, 2023

134. Dressing Barbie


Dressing Barbie: A Celebration Of the Clothes That Made America's Favorite Doll and the Incredible Woman Behind Them. Carol Spencer. 2019. 160 pages. [Source: Library] [adult nonfiction; history; fashion design; toys; adult collectors]

First sentence:  Barbie quite simply changed my life.

Premise/plot: Carol  Spencer shares her experiences as a fashion designer for Barbie at Mattel. She worked as a designer for Mattel from 1963 through the 1990s. Four decades designing fashion and fashion accessories for Barbie (and friends). The book is packed with back stories and photographs. It is organized by decade. When she started at Mattel, there were four women working as fashion designers. I'm not sure how many more were added to that team through the decades. But she definitely played an important role in styling Barbie. This one provides context for Barbie's style. She gives behind-the-scenes look in various inspirations for various looks. 

MY thoughts: I absolutely loved this one!!!! I enjoyed reading about each of the decades. I don't know that I have a favorite, favorite section. I loved finding out more behind-the-scenes glimpses of memorable and iconic dolls. Like the creation for Totally Hair Barbie, for example. She was responsible for the first MY FIRST BARBIE doll and the subsequent My First Barbie line. One of my the funniest stories is how she shares WHY there were three different fashions with gold and white stripes--a bathing suit and headdress, a holiday dress, and another shorter dress. They accidentally ordered 2,500 yards instead of 250 yards! 

I read this one in one sitting. It was an awesome read. Perhaps not for every single reader. But for those that do love BARBIE or those that love fashion design or history. 

I think this one works as a book that you read cover-to-cover. OR as a reference book that you skim. The photographs are awesome. 

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: