Friday, July 14, 2023

132. The Spectacular


The Spectacular. Fiona Davis. 2023. [June] 368 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: I still dance in my dreams. But not in my life. In my life, I shuffle around this too-large house, tossing whatever is within reach into the nearest cardboard box, not bothering to wrap anything in newspaper or to make sure the box labeled living room actually contains items from the living room.

Premise/plot: Historical fiction set in New York City in the 1950s. This historical novel has a framework. It is set in 1992--December--and in 1956. Marion, the protagonist, is a dancer who auditions and becomes a Rockette at Radio City Music Hall. Her father (and boyfriend) object strongly. She defies them both and goes for her dream anyway. Her sister, unfortunately, gets caught up in the drama. During one of the shows, her sister is the victim of a mad bomber. (A bomb left in the seat next to her). Marion catches sight of this "Big Apple Bomber" who has been setting off bombs for over fifteen years--since the early 1940s. The police don't take her eyewitness account seriously. But Marion is convinced that she can help solve this case--with or without the support of the police. She recruits a psychologist who is experimenting with something brand new--psychological profiling. Can they profile the type of man likely to commit these crimes and give the police an idea of who to look for?

My thoughts: Do not expect romance. Do expect drama. I enjoyed the mystery. I'm not sure I support the ways in which Marion and Peter (the psychologist) went about solving the crime. I could be wrong, but the way they "gather evidence" seems to violate all the rules and guidelines for what would be admissible in a court of law. (That is not addressed. And what do I know for sure about 1950s New York police departments or the court systems?)

 

© 2023 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: