Monday, February 05, 2024

16. Not Quite a Ghost


Not Quite a Ghost. Anne Ursu. 2024. [January] 288 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: The house stood a little apart from the rest of the block, as if it did not quite fit in. Perhaps it was wary of the other houses, or perhaps it was the other houses that wished to keep their distance from it. If only houses could talk, then one of them could tell us which it was. Of course, if houses could talk, they could also lie.

Premise/plot: Violet Hart is struggling--struggling with her health, with her friend group, with starting middle school, with getting along with her older [oh-so-moody] sister, with her new house, with her new attic bedroom. It seems the world is out to get her--no lucky breaks. But is the world truly out to get her? Or is it merely her YELLOW WALLPAPER out to get her?

My thoughts: Not my cup of tea. Oh how I WANTED this one to be my cup of tea. Definitely has Twilight Zone vibes. A blend of super-creepy and supernatural WITH your typical angsty coming of age novel. It's this back and forth between the supernatural AND the super realistic that is conflicting me. On the one hand, it doesn't embrace the haunted-ness and pure creepiness of the house. On the other hand, the slightly supernatural elements are at odds with the very real struggles of her invisible illness. At least to me. The author shares how she struggled (struggles) with her invisible diseases, and as a kid/teen it was impossible (or nearly so) for doctors to validate her symptoms, take her seriously, and diagnose her. This could have been compelling--alongside her friends not understanding why she's so tired and unable to join in on their daily activities--on its own. But the direction is an adaptation of the short story, "The Yellow Wallpaper." YET the conclusion isn't really the same if my memory is accurate. (Which to be honest it's been a LONG time since I last read it.) 

I think like the wallpaper itself this one is a little too busy/chaotic for my own personal liking. BUT I could see how this might be a good fit for another reader. 

 

© 2024 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: