Thursday, February 01, 2024

14. Mexikid


Mexikid: A Graphic Memoir. Pedro Martin. 2023. 320 pages. [Source: Library] [Nonfiction Graphic Novel; MG Graphic Novel; Newbery Honor]

First sentence: They call me Peter...but my real name is Pedro.

Premise/plot: This one is a graphic novel MEMOIR. It is set in the summer of 1977. Pedro Martin is recalling/chronicling the adventures/misadventures of a family (round trip) road trip from California to Mexico (and Mexico to California). Being the seventh in a family of nine kids, he's got plenty of stories to share. Long story short, his family is going to Mexico to spend time with the grandfather and make preparations for his return with them to the United States. 

My thoughts: This one is great when it comes to details. I'll try to explain what I mean. His details help put you right there in the scene. The sights, sounds, smells, tastes, etc. He is especially good at grounding the book in TIME and presumably in culture. 

I enjoyed this one much more than I thought I would. I am not usually a graphic novel reader. It's not my usual type of book to read. 

I will say that this one might not be for super-sensitive readers. Namely, his grandfather's "mission" to accomplish before they leave for the United States might make some readers squeamish. 

 

© 2024 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: