Thursday, August 01, 2024

58. Catching Fire

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games #2) Suzanne Collins. 2009. 391 pages. [Source: Library] [5/5 Stars] [Dystopia, YA]

First sentence: I clasp the flask between my hands even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air. 

This is THE year I am rereading all the Hunger Games books. It has been over a decade since I've read the original trilogy. I do watch the movies every few years. I was SHOCKED (though I shouldn't be) how much doesn't make it into the movies. I was reminded again that the books are so much better than the movies. I think because I do enjoy the movies so much, I forget how different the experiences are from one another. Hence why I didn't reread the series for so long. But the books offer SO much more depth and substance. 

Premise/plot: Peeta and Katniss should be safe now that the seventy-fourth hunger games are over. But they are far from safe since their controversial win in the arena. President Snow has MANY thoughts and opinions. His mind is made up--despite his offering Katniss an out, essentially. Katniss and Peeta's mere existence is an ongoing threat to "peace" in Panem. But he and his cohorts have a plan for the seventy-fifth game....

My thoughts: Catching Fire IS my favorite of the trilogy. I love and adore this book so much. I like the other books in the series. I do. But this one has EVERYTHING. I love, love, love, love FINNICK. I do love Peeta and Katniss. (Not such a big fan of Gale, though I'm not sure if that's legit because of the first two books or because I can never forget book three). Reading the book for the first time in such a long time--over a decade--was like reading it with fresh eyes.

 

© 2024 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: