Thursday, February 10, 2011

Cat Among the Pigeons

Cat Among the Pigeons. Agatha Christie. 1959/2007. Black Dog & Leventhal. 272 pages.

It was the opening day of the summer term at Meadowbank school.

Set at a girls' boarding school, this Hercule Poirot mystery was oh-so-fascinating. I enjoyed it so much! It's a mystery novel with plenty of narrators--from teachers and secretaries to students. This school term is unlike previous terms--for one of the new students brings mystery and danger to the prestigious school. And this "danger" will cost a few teachers their lives. A quick-thinking student, Julia Upjohn, decides to seek out Hercule Poirot believing that this detective is the man for the job. If anyone can stop this murderer and solve the mystery, he can.

I loved this one. I loved how this mystery unfolds. How Hercule Poirot does not enter into the book too early. How other characters are given the opportunity to shine. So when he does appear, I almost felt like cheering. (I wasn't expecting that!) I am still loving Agatha Christie. I'm still finding her novels clever and wonderful and oh-so-compelling. There is just something so delightful, so satisfying about reading her books!

© 2011 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds good - I tend to get some of her books mixed up, but I'm almost certain that I haven't read this one. L.

Anonymous said...

I've read some of her books, this one sounds pretty good.

Alex said...

Cqt among the Pigeons was a great book, so is the version, slightly different, that was shown on PBS, with Harriet Walter as the head of the school. Harriet Walter was Harriet Vane when she was younger -perfect for these stories.

Joann said...

You would love Halloween Party! Its a Hercule Poirot novel who employs his little gray brain cells very neatly in this one!
jbdownie5@yahoo.com