Friday, February 04, 2011

Mrs. Mike

Mrs. Mike: "The Heartwarming Classic Story of the Boston Girl Who Married A Rugged Canadian Mountie." by Benedict & Nancy Freedman. 1947. 284 pages.

The worst winter in fifty years, the old Scotsman had told me. I'd only been around for sixteen, but it was the worst I'd seen, and I was willing to take his word for the other thirty-four.

I enjoyed Mrs. Mike. It's a rugged historical romance novel set in the early twentieth century. It stars Katherine Mary O'Fallon and Seargeant Mike Flannigan of the Canadian Mounted Police. When Katherine Mary goes to visit her uncle in Canada, she didn't expect to fall in love with anyone. But when she meets this Mountie, well, it's love. Her love for him will be demanding, will require much sacrifice on her part. For this city girl will be forced into the wilderness, away from everything she's ever known and loved. She'll endure the harshest circumstances, the cruelest hardships. But because of love--her deep love--for her husband, life is good. But their love will face challenges. Realistic challenges, I believe, but heartbreaking ones.

As I said, I enjoyed this one. I enjoyed the historical aspects of this one. I also liked the romance of it. It was a good, clean read. A book that almost anyone of any age could enjoy--if historical romance is their genre of choice. (I know not everyone *loves* historical romance as much as I do!)

My favorite quote:
But death does not stand at the end of life, it is all through it. It is the fear of losing, the knowledge of losing that makes love tender. (276)

© 2011 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was my favorite book in junior high. I introduced it to our church's youth girls reading group a few years back --- not their favorite, unfortunately. I read the sequal Search for Joyful last year -- also very good.

Becky said...

I didn't know there was a sequel?! I might have to seek that out at some point! I wouldn't mind spending more time with these characters.

Chrisbookarama said...

A Mountie romance! That sounds like fun.

Unknown said...

This sounds like a great book. I really love historical fiction. I recently read a book called Lady in Waiting which is loosely based on the life of Lady Jane Gray. Thanks for sharing about this book. I will check it out.

If you are interested in reading and rating my review visit:
http://waterbrookmultnomah.com/bloggingforbooks/reviews/view/2657

BookChook said...

I love some historical fiction. LOVE it. This one sounds perfect. For some reason your description reminds me of the Betty MacDonald books I so enjoy.

Gretchen Craig said...

I remember this book! I'm ooollld now, but I loved it when I was a kid. Fun to see it being reviewed now.