Monday, May 16, 2011

The Silent Speaker

The Silent Speaker. Rex Stout. 1946/1994. Random House. 288 pages.  

Seated in his giant's chair behind his desk in his office, leaning back with his eyes half closed, Nero Wolfe muttered at me:
"It is an interesting fact that the members of the National Industrial Association who were at that dinner last evening represent, in the aggregate, assets of something like thirty billion dollars."
I slid the checkbook into place on top of the stack, closed the door of the safe, twirled the knob, and yawned on the way back to my desk.
"Yes, sir," I agreed with him. "It is also an interesting fact that the prehistoric Mound Builders left more traces of their work in Ohio than in any other state. In my boyhood days--"
"Shut up," Wolfe muttered.
I let it pass without any feeling of resentment, first because it was going on  midnight and I was sleepy, and second because it was conceivable that there might be some connection between his interesting fact and our previous conversation, and that was not true of mine. We had been discussing the bank balance, the reserve against taxes, expectations as to bills and burdens, one of which was my salary, and related matters. The exchequer had not swung for the third strike, but neither had it knocked the ball out of the park. After I yawned three more times Wolfe spoke suddenly and decisively. 
"Archie. Your notebook. Here are directions for tomorrow."
In two minutes he had me wide awake. When he had finished and I went upstairs to bed, the program for the morning was so active in my head that I tossed and turned for a full thirty seconds before sleep came. (1-2)

I enjoyed The Black Orchid, but I really enjoyed The Silent Speaker. I just love, love, love Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin. Archie makes for a GREAT narrator! There's just something so delicious, so satisfying, so fun about these Nero Wolfe books. (I can't wait to read all the ones my library has!)

So in The Silent Speaker, Archie and Nero Wolfe are trying to find a way to make some money. I guess you could say they are in between detecting jobs at the moment. There's just been a high profile murder. And though they've not been hired--by any one--Archie is going around town acting like he's on the case. He's interviewing people, writing down clues, making people nervous etc. Soon he's got a handful of people thinking that Nero Wolfe is just days away from solving the crime. So Archie's acting pays off. The NIA hires Nero Wolfe to solve this murder for them. Even though several NIA employees are on the suspect list. But the truth is, Nero Wolfe isn't exactly sure WHO committed this crime. (Or is he?!) You see, there's been a reward offered--a BIG, BIG, BIG reward. And Nero Wolfe may just be out to collect it! If he can outwit the police and everyone else.


© 2011 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Tribute Books Mama 1:41 PM  

Thanks for sharing this review, must look into.

Man of la Book 3:25 PM  

I've never read any of the Nero Wolf novels. I'm looking forward to reading a few - thanks for the heads up Becky.

http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Review Policy

I am interested in reviewing books and audio books. This blog focuses on books written for middle grade on up (essentially 10 to a 110). I review middle grade fiction and young adult fiction (aka tween and teen).

I also review adult books.

I read in a variety of genres including realistic fiction, historical fiction, mystery, romance, science fiction, fantasy, literary fiction, and chick lit. (I've read one western to date.)

I read a few poetry books, a few short story collections, a few graphic novels, a few nonfiction books.

I am especially fond of:

  • Regency romances (including Austen prequels/sequels)
  • Historical fiction set in the Tudor dynasty
  • Historical fiction and nonfiction set during World War II
  • Jewish fiction/nonfiction
  • dystopias
  • apocalyptic fiction
  • science fiction (especially if it involves time travel and alternate realities)
  • fantasy
  • multicultural books and international books

I am not a fan of:

  • sports books
  • horse books
  • dog books if the dog dies (same goes with most pets actually except maybe fish)
  • westerns (if it's a pioneer story with women and children, then maybe)
  • extremely violent books with blood, blood, and more blood

I am more interested in strong characters, well-written, fleshed-out, human characters. Plot is secondary to me in a way. I have to care about the characters in order to care about the plot. That being said, compelling storytelling is something that I love. I love to become absorbed in what I'm reading.

If you're interested in sending me a review copy of your book, I'm happy to hear from you. Email me at laney_po AT yahoo DOT com.

You should know several things before you contact me:

1) I do not guarantee a review of your book. I am just agreeing to consider it for review.
2) I give all books at least fifty pages.
3) I am not promising anyone (author or publisher) a positive review in exchange for a review copy. That's not how I work.
4) In all of my reviews I strive for honesty. My reviews are my opinions--so yes, they are subjective--you should know my blog will feature both negative and positive reviews.
5) I do not guarantee that I will get to your book immediately. I've got so many books I'm trying to read and review, I can't promise to get to any one book in a given time frame.
6) Emailing me every other week to see if I've read your book won't help me get to it any faster. Though if you want to email me to check and see if it arrived safely, then that's fine!

Authors, publishers. I am interested in interviewing authors and participating in blog tours. (All I ask is that I receive a review copy of the author's latest book beforehand so the interview will be productive. If the book is part of a series, I'd like to review the whole series.) Contact me if you're interested.

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

Search Book Blogs Search Engine

The background is based on a background I found here...with some small adjustments on my part so it would work with the template.
Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP