Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Private World of Georgette Heyer

The Private World of Georgette Heyer. Jane Aiken Hodge. 2011. Sourcebooks. 256 pages. 

Georgette Heyer was born on 16 August 1902, in the prosperous London suburb of Wimbledon. She was called after her father, George Heyer, who had been called after his. 

I am a big fan of Georgette Heyer, so I was pleased to read Jane Aiken Hodge's biography. Because Heyer was a private person, an author who did not seek much publicity--she let her books speak for themselves--this biography focuses on her writing career. Readers get a glimpse--a behind the scenes picture--of her life as a writer. They learn details about when each book was written, the how, the where, the why. Readers get to read Heyer's thoughts on her own books, her thoughts on other authors, her thoughts on the publishing industry.

The more familiar you are with Heyer's novels--her romances and mysteries--the more you'll enjoy this one. I remember picking this one up a year or two ago and losing interest because all it was--all it seemed to be--was talk about one book after another after another. Now that I've read most of her romances, I have a better appreciation for the biography as a whole. (It could also be a mood thing! For example, after recently reading Anya Seton's Katherine, it amused me to see Heyer call it 'unhistorical' fiction. And I really enjoyed reading Heyer's thoughts on Jane Eyre!!! And the book also includes Heyer's thoughts on some of her book covers!!!)

I would recommend this one to fans of Georgette Heyer. I found it very interesting!

© 2011 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so want to read this, because I love her books. I've read, 'though, that Heyer was even scornful of her own books.

Kailana said...

This sounds interesting, but I don't think I have read enough Heyer to appreciate it.

Suko said...

Wonderful post! I have a book by this author that I haven't read yet. I didn't realize until very recently that she was born in 1902.

thereadingpanda said...

I really appreciate you pointing out that the biography is better if you have read the author’s works. It sounds like I will have to do some homework before I think of tackling this one.

Anonymous said...

I so love GH, I definitely should read this book. Thanks for the recommendation!

Love Kyla said...

Hey, Becky. Have you read 'Cousin Kate' also by Georgette Heyer? It's really great. Trust me. :)