Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Sunday Salon: Watching Prohibition, Part 1, A Nation of Drunkards

Partly inspired by reading Karen Blumenthal's great nonfiction book, Bootleg: Murder, Moonshine, and the Lawless Years of Prohibition, I decided I needed to watch one of the newest Ken Burns' films, Prohibition. It is in three volumes, and I've only had time to watch the first part, A Nation of Drunkards, but I do hope to get to the second and third discs as they become available. 

I enjoyed watching this documentary! This first disc covered almost a century in American history. And there were parts of it that were truly fascinating. Many things I've just recently learned about--through reading Blumenthal's book and through watching this documentary. What I loved about this one is that it was rich in primary sources--they were quoting so many different people, and the quotes were truly brought to life by the actors. And one thing that was a very pleasant surprise was seeing Catherine Gilbert Murdock as a featured historian/researcher.

Watch Prohibition
  • IF you love history
  • If you love documentaries
  • If you love learning new things, and enjoy having "I didn't know that!!!" moments
  • If you want to see American history really come to life
  • If you want to learn more about social/moral "progress" in the 19th century, the formations of clubs, unions, and other reform movements (like the Women's Christian Temperance Union, American Temperance Society, Anti-Saloon League, etc.)

© 2012 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I'm always happy to hear from you! To help fight spam, comment moderation has been set up for posts older than two days. Feel free to ask me questions or ask for recommendations!

Unique Visitors and Google PR Rank

Free PageRank Checker

Pageloads Counter

The background is based on a background I found here...with some small adjustments on my part so it would work with the template.
Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

  © Blogger template Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP