Sunday, March 03, 2013

Sunday Salon: Reading Daddy Long Legs (1912)

Daddy Long Legs. Jean Webster. 1912. 208 pages.

Judy Abbot has a wonderful opportunity before her. If she'll agree to write her anonymous sponsor (or benefactor) a letter each and every month, then he will pay for her to attend four years of college. It is more than she ever hoped for, and so, of course, she agrees. The book chronicles all four years of her college experiences--including her summer vacations. Her benefactor manages to still manage her even during her school breaks. Not that she hears from him very often...

The book focuses on many aspects of college life: making friends, learning to get along with disagreeable people, learning how to be responsible, studying, attending classes, taking tests, spending time with friends, becoming interested in boys and dating, balancing everything just so.

I enjoyed this one. I like the letter-format, for the most part. But I can't exactly say that I'm kindred spirits with the heroine.
It isn't the big troubles in life that require character. Anybody can rise to a crisis and face a crushing tragedy with courage, but to meet the petty hazards of the day with a laugh--I really think that requires spirit. (51)
Thank heaven I don't inherit my God from anybody! I am free to make mine up as I wish Him. (67)
I have a beautiful play that I invented a long time ago when I first learned to read. I put myself to sleep every night by pretending I'm the person (the most important person) in the book I'm reading at the moment. (88)
It isn't the great big pleasures that count the most; it's making a great deal out of the little ones--I've discovered the true secret of happiness, Daddy, and that is to live in the now. (141)

© 2013 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Cassie G said...

i have a contest going on on my blog right now - you should check it out!

http://happybooklovers-a-gogo.blogspot.com/2013/03/win-book.html