Saturday, February 02, 2013

Week In Review: January 27 - February 2

The ALA youth media awards were announced this past week! I'd read the Newbery winner, The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate, and two of the three Newbery Honor books: Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz and Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage. I'd also read the Caldecott winner, Jon Klassen's This Is Not My Hat, and two of the five Honor books: Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett and Green by Laura Vaccaro Seeger. Other books honored/awarded which I've already read include: No Crystal Stair (Coretta Scott King Author Honor), Code Name Verity (Printz Honor), My Family for the War (Batchelder Award), and Let's Go for a Drive (Geisel Honor). The only award I really try to prepare for is the Newbery. I love it when one of my favorites wins. It almost happened this year. I would say I did love One and Only Ivan. It just wasn't in my top two or three. I would have LOVED to see The Lions of Little Rock or Almost Home get some attention. But there's always hope that one of my favorites will win the Cybils.

Children's Classics reviewed this week:
Historical fiction reviewed this week:
Mystery book reviewed this week:
January Movies:
  • Anne of Green Gables, 1934
  • Anne of Green Gables, 1985
  • Anne of Avonlea, 1975
  • Pollyanna, 2003
  • Heidi, 1993
  • The Secret Garden, 1949
 January Reflections -- Books Reviewed in January 2013

© 2013 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Becca said...

Lots of books for me to check out!