Friday, March 22, 2019

To Kill A Mockingbird Graphic Novel

To Kill A Mockingbird: A Graphic Novel. Original text by Harper Lee. Adapted and illustrated by Fred Fordham. 2018 [October 30] 208 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: When he was nearly thirteen my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.

Premise/plot: This is a graphic novel adaptation of Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird. It stars unforgettable characters: Scout, Jem, Dill, Atticus, Cal, and Boo Radley--to name just a few. If you've read the novel or watched the movie, then you should definitely consider picking this one up. It is faithful to the spirit of the book--and the text is definitely recognizably Harper Lee's.

My thoughts: I really LOVED this one. I am not saying that I love the graphic novel adaptation more than the original novel. I am not even saying that I love the graphic novel more than the movie. (Fordham's rendering of Atticus does not resemble Gregory Peck in the slightest, by the way.) But the book reminded me of all the reasons why I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the (original) book in the first place.

It is faithful to the actual book. It has scenes that are definitely not in the movie adaptation. I think this is important to know. At times with classics one rewatches the movie more than rereads the book. Especially perhaps in the case of To Kill A Mockingbird. Though for the record, my copy of To Kill A Mockingbird is looking a bit tattered. I am not sure how many more times it can hold up to a rereading. I would have bought a replacement copy years ago--if I ever came across it at a used book store. But this isn't one you see about in used bookstores. I think people tend to hold onto their copies forever and ever. It's just that good.

I love the writing. I love the characters. I do enjoy the illustrations.

© 2019 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: