Friday, March 01, 2019

Inheritance

Inheritance: A Memoir of Genealogy, Paternity, and Love. Dani Shapiro. 2019. 272 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: When I was a girl I would sneak down the hall late at night once my parents were asleep.

Premise/plot: In this memoir, Dani Shapiro shares her experiences with DNA testing. Her results surprised her: it begins with a match for a first cousin she doesn't know. If this stranger is her first cousin, it means that her father--the father who raised her--is not her biological father. She remembers something slightly off her mother said about her conception years ago. Within a matter of days she finds her biological father--a sperm donor. What should she do with this information? Should she try to make contact with him? meet him? have a relationship with him? Does it mean anything mentally, emotionally, spiritually that this man--this stranger--is her father?

My thoughts: I wanted this to be a compelling read. I really did. I tend to watch these kinds of stories on the news. It sounded like it would be fascinating. But for me it wasn't. I found the narrative to be tedious at times. Was there enough material for a full-length book? I'm not sure there was. Was there enough for an essay or article? Definitely.

© 2019 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

No comments: