Monday, July 01, 2019

In Like Flynn

In Like Flynn. (Molly Murphy #4) Rhys Bowen. 2005. 352 pages. [Source: Library]

 First sentence: "Spring? Was there any spring this year?" the man in the jaunty brown derby asked.

Premise/plot: Daniel Sullivan has a job for Miss Molly Murphy. He wants her to go undercover at Senator Barney Flynn's house posing as a cousin. Theresa, Barney's wife, is convinced that the Sorensen Sisters--spiritualists--can contact her dead son. Senator Flynn is skeptical--at best. Captain Sullivan suspects that the sisters are fakes, scammers. Though no one has asked her to pursue the matter, Molly takes it upon herself to see if she can solve the crime as well. The son was kidnapped and is now presumed dead. The ransom note said that he was buried alive--they had a limited amount of time to pay up. The "kidnapper" was shot by police before he revealed the location of the son. But will that task prove deadly? Is the mastermind behind that murder still hanging around?

My thoughts: I really didn't care for the third book in the series. I didn't. But I am glad I read this fourth book! I didn't love, love, love it. But I really enjoyed it. I found it a quick and entertaining read as opposed to a sluggish, frustrating one. Things seem a bit closer to a resolution in terms of Molly's love life. I don't know if I could handle a love triangle that goes on for half a series.

© 2019 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Alyssa Nelson said...

I'm so glad this series bounced back for you! Getting more resolution (especially for a fourth book!) is definitely important. Hopefully the next one is just as good. Great review!