Wednesday, August 25, 2021

96. The House of Serendipity


The House of Serendipity. Lucy Ivison. 2021. 224 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: I stopped and set my sewing machine down for the hundredth time.

Premise/plot: Myrtle Mathers (a young maid) and Sylvia Cartwright (a young lady) team up on the sly to be fashion designers in 1920s London. This one has alternating narrators--Myrtle and Sylvia. Myrtle, our seamstress, is a newly hired maid. Her mother is sick with consumption and has returned to Ireland; her father has died. She's hoping to support her mother with her wages while dreaming of brighter days. Sylvia has a vivid imagination and a sketchpad. Her older sister, Delphine, is a debutante this season. These two strangers (Sylvia and Myrtle) team up when Delphine's dress is HIDEOUS and FRIGHTFUL. The two hope they can make something out of the mess that is worth wearing for her big party/ball. After a successful (secret) project, the two team up a second time to help out another debutante, Agapantha Portland-Prince, who literally wants to run far, far away from this society nonsense...

But when secrets are outed, can Myrtle keep her job and reputation?

My thoughts: IF I was giving out stars based on the cover alone, I'd give this one five stars. I love everything about this cover. I'd go back in time and hand myself a copy of this book.

But I don't give out stars based on the cover...alone. I think for younger audiences (aka NOT adults) this one will prove an enjoyable and appealing dalliance with historical fiction.

For older readers (aka adults and maybe some young adults) it may be an almost book. Sylvia and Myrtle are from two distinct social classes. And there are things that Sylvia can get away with--especially at her young age--that Myrtle can't. It's not fair exactly. I'm not saying it is. But the book doesn't really go far enough, deep enough here. It's very neat and tidy. But Myrtle's choices while wonderful for fiction could have proved disastrous.

The ending. I don't know if this book could have a bigger bow ending. I have a hard time believing that Hollywood is anxious for two teens from Britain to come be costume designers. And I have a hard time believing that this is what is best for them...both. The truth is that both are what would be considered minors today. And for the two to dream of Hollywood fame...and to want to head out on their own...without adult supervision, guidance, wisdom. It seems like a HUGE mistake waiting to happen. Granted, London life may not be any safer in regards to possible exploitation. But at least Sylvia is living with her family. Would I have been bothered by this literal Hollywood ending as a kid? as a teen? probably not.

 

© 2021 Becky Laney of Becky's Book Reviews

2 comments:

Michelle Ann said...

This reminds me of a British TV drama, House of Elliott. It was set in the 1920s, and is about two girls who become dress designers and set up a fashion business in London.

Davida Chazan (The Chocolate Lady) said...

Michelle is right... House of Elliott! Sounds fun!